My buddy Thomas from Pennsylvania is going to Vegas and invited me to come along. It’s a sort of a bachelor’s party for our friend John, but without the craziness that the movie “Hangover” portrays. So forget about all of those images, because I know that many of you are going there! We are the quiet types who like our few drinks and very nerdy conversations.
However, the guys are making this trip all about the gambling. They are all regular online casino players, but have never gone to Vegas. And, I forgot to mention one small detail. I won’t be able to join their trip. To this information, Thomas almost had a heart attack, because they truly believe that without me, they won’t know how to get the deals and do things right.
This is a tip’s guide for my buddies going to Las Vegas. If they follow these common instructions (yes, you guys!).
- Get all the Coupons you can. When you play either slots or table games, the casino will reward you with buffets, show tickets, or room discounts. Ask at the player’s club booth (slot players) or at the tables (table players) for how to claim your goodies.
- Get a player’s card. Guys, this is a big one to follow! Make sure you go to the Player’s Club desk at any casino you visit and sign up for a free player’s card, even if you don’t plan to gamble there. Then the casino will mail you offers for discounted or even free rooms on your next visit.
- Watch your riches. This seems like such an overstatement, but it’s always important to mention, especially in a weekend where everything seems to be about gambling. Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose. Set a budget for each playing session and if you lose it, stop playing.
- Make sure you tip the dealers $5/hr., and the cocktail waitresses $1 every drink or two. This might make you feel like a VIP gambler during your whole stay. Believe me, it pays off!
- Don’t play slot machines. They suck your money away hand over fist. Compare $600 lost over 16 hours on a $0.25 machine compared to just $40 lost at blackjack or craps at $5 a hand.
- Save your winnings. Set aside half your win when you win big, and never gamble it, so you have a guaranteed win.
- Get Half-Price Show Tickets. If you decide to go to the shows, (relax guys, men also go to the shows) you can get half-price tickets for most Vegas shows at one of the several booths on the Strip (just S. of the Riviera, outside the Fashion Show Mall across from the Wynn, in the Hawaiian Marketplace across from the Monte Carlo, and next to GameWorks), or downtown (outside the Four Queens).
- Walk. Don’t take cabs or in any case, take the bus, but hey, the whole strip is four miles long and you could walk the whole thing in an hour and a half. Plus, it helps work off the calories from the buffets.
Ready to hit Las Vegas? I assure you that with these tips, you will be having a great time and not lose a dime.