This post is dedicated to all of the people who live in the states of the US and the parts of the world where winter is still hitting hard or barely starting to come to an end. Why? Because we need to come up with excuses to warm up the house, our spirits and have some fun.
So how are we going to celebrate Mardi Gras this year? We are going to throw a Mardi Gras party to play Poker, Blackjack or any of our favorite Casino games. This is a reason to dress in pompous clothes, wear lots of beads, hats, masks, drink a crazy punch or just be merry. Connecting Mardi Gras with casino games might seem a bit of a stretch, but since we’re gambling lovers, then we need to throw the parties where WE decide to do whatever we want.
- First things first: this is a party to have fun. If you don’t have much of a budget then paint some toilet paper and decorate the house with it. Make paper hats, wear crazy clothes, buy beers, play some crazy music, light candles and get your cards out. This party is about having an excuse to have fun.
- When decorating around the house, put up as many or as few decorations as you like: balloons, streamers, confetti, and doubloons make great Mardi Gras party decorations. Be sure to save a string of beads to give to each guest, and play New Orleans brass band, zydeco, or swing music to set the Mardi Gras party mood.
- Since this is after all a casino party, decide on the games you want to have at your party. Are you just keeping it simple or are you going to go all the way? You can hire companies that will bring the casino games to your house or venue. These companies also offer the services of dealers to not only deal the cards, but also explain how the games are played. If your party is a little more low-key, you can set up a few tables for poker and blackjack. As for the money you will gamble on, you can either print it or buy it from those suppliers.
- Make it a “Fat Tuesday” party! In case you didn’t know this fact, Mardi Gras means Fat Tuesday in French. Why? In France people used to eat all of their meat that they couldn’t eat in the Lenten period, right before Ash Wednesday. The reason to eat this meat on Tuesday came from the fact that back in the years, meat couldn’t be refrigerated. Now that you know some history, just throw in the biggest amount of food you can come up with and let your guests know the reason behind the delicious feast.
- Whether or not your party is big, you can have a Mardi Gras Costume Contest. On your party invitation or email, tell guests to dress in their best wacky costume (jesters, pirates, and gypsies are a few good options). Set up an area where guests can vote on their favorite costume, and announce the winner at the end of the party. It’s a silly activity, but you know that people can get carried away with these things.
Have fun guys! We really want to encourage this idea of celebrating a traditional party that is not only celebrated in New Orleans, but in many cities around the world.
It’s carnival time!