I’m sure that you, like me, might be tired of all the new age and self-help material that talks about how to become a winner, but don’t you ever wonder? How come some people just seem to be more successful or luckier than others? My sister Ana is one of these people and it has always amazed me how she just gets it all right!
And I’m not talking in the gambling world. I’m talking about people who just seem to always hit a home run in every aspect of their lives. Let’s look at some observations I’ve made about Ana, which I’ve noticed are also present in many of these winners.
- Winners are curious and eager to learn: They study, ask questions and read. Repeated success is not about memorizing facts, it’s about being able to take information and create, build, or apply it in new and important ways. Successful people want to learn everything about everything!
- Winners are creative. Winners see new combinations, new possibilities, new opportunities and challenges where others see problems or limitations. They wake up in the middle of the night yelling, “I’ve got it!”
- Winners know lots of people: They know lots of different kinds of people. They listen to friends, neighbors, co-workers and bartenders. They value what everyone has to offer to them.
- Winners work hard: They get up early, they rarely complain, they expect performance from others, but they expect extraordinary performance from themselves.
- Winners are self-reliant and take responsibility: They don’t worry about blame, and they don’t waste time complaining. They make decisions and move on.
- Winners live in the present: They know that “Now” is the only time they can control. They have a “gift” for looking people in the eye, listening to what is being said, enjoying a meal or fine wine, music or playing with a child. They never seem rushed, and they get a lot done!
- Winners look at the future: They observe trends, notice changes, see shifts, and hear the nuances that others miss.
- Winners respond instantly: When they see an opportunity, they make the call. If an important relationship is cooling down, they take time to renew it. They’re on top of things!
What I’ve noticed is that these traits in Ana, work together to make her an extremely efficient person. Or better yet, Ana is awake! She’s always ready for action. In the areas that she’s not an expert, she always has the right contacts to consult. Opportunities keep coming her way, because not only does she know the right people, but she expresses her curiosity and interest.
If you take a look at these characteristics, like me, you might find that they are traits we can also develop. Us, “normal people,” need to learn how to stay open to change and be aware that a new perspective needs to be embraced in order to attract a new life style.